A hair extension is the technique of adding hair that isn't your own onto your own natural hair. There are a variety of methods for adding a hair extension, including weaving, bonding, braiding and strand by strand. Some of these techniques are best performed by trained hair professionals, while others are simple enough for you to do yourself, at home.
They can be styled and washed which makes them a versatile way of achieving a new look. Hair extensions and hairpieces come in a range of hair types - wavy, curly and long straight and sleek; various textures and lengths.
Celebrities have been seen wearing hairpieces and clip in hair extensions for the past few months which has caused this hair accessory to become popular with women of all ages around the world. One of the most versatile forms of hairpiece is the clip on ponytail, which is simple and easy to attach to your own hair pulled back in a knot.
These are available in inexpensive synthetic as well as human hair which are both fully washable. Hair extensions are a temporary answer to achieving a different hair style whether you go to a salon and have it professionally attached or put in in yourself.
Clip in hair extensions cover a range of techniques and applications. To experience a funky modern look without damaging your hair with chemicals and dyes, try a clip in color streaks hair extension.
You get to create a fun look that is only temporary and you can return to your normal style the next day. Try long hair for a day, add highlights or lowlights, add some curls or waves - the possibilities are almost endless. Watch what the celebs are doing and copy it to be really up to the minute with the latest fashion looks.
Clip in extensions vary in width from 2 to 8 inches and are attached to your own hair by means of the small toupee clips which are sewn onto the extensions. Each extension is attached to small sections of the natural hair, using the clips. You simply section your hair horizontally and snap the clips shut over your hair, just inder the part you made, near the scalp. Be careful not to catch your scalp - this could be painful. The clip in hair extensions are fine to wear day and night, but need to be removed before going to sleep.
Here are some tips for fitting your clip-in hair extensions -
* Before fitting your extension, straighten your own hair. You will get a more natural blending of your own hair with the hair in the extensions.
* Practice opening and closing the snap clips on the hair extension. Use both your thumbs and your index fingers, and apply firm pressure to the ends of the clip . Leave each one open so they will be ready for fitting to your hair.
* You might find it helps to lightly tease the underside of each section of your own hair before fitting the clips. This will help to give a firmer grip on your hair.
* Start from the bottom of your head and work up towards the top.
* The longer lengths are best used for the back of the head and the shorter lengths are for the sides.
* Lightly comb your own hair over the extensions and check there are no lumps or bumps.
After you have practised a few times you will be able to fit your clip in hair extensions quickly and easily to create great fashion looks and special styles for a memorable occasion.